This article will also help those people who want to remove all of those popups when trying to browse the internet. Also, in order to keep the complexity of this tutorial to a minimum it is assumed that you can at least connect to the internet and download/update. If you can't do anything then you'll probably need the assistance of someone with a more technical background and experience in removing spyware.
1. Download and install Spybot - Search and Destroy
. Once you've installed these programs make sure to install the latest definition updates.
2. Open Add or Remove Programs (Start->Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs). Now is a good time to uninstall any sketchy programs and do some house cleaning by removing programs that are no longer needed.
3. Turn off System Restore. (Start->Control Panel->System) Click on the System Restore tab and make sure the checkbox is ticked to turn off system restore.
4. Boot into Safe Mode
1. Once you're in safe mode run a full system scan, first with Ad-Aware and then with Spybot. In both cases once the scan has finished remove/clean any bad entries. Continue to run scans until no threats or bad entries show up.
2. While you're in safe mode it would be a good idea to Check and Fix your hosts file on Windows XP if needed.
3. Run Ad-Aware and make sure you have the latest updates installed. click Start and select 'Perform a Full System Scan'. When the scan is complete, select and remove all objects.
4. Run Spyboy S&D and make sure you have the latest updates installed. click 'Check for Problems'. When the scan is complete, select and remove all entries.
5. After you have completed both scans, Reboot and start the computer in Safe Mode again.
6. Repeat steps 3 to 5 until both programs report no threats (or at least non-critical threats).
7. Reboot the computer and start Windows normally (don't go into safe mode)